Sunday, May 15, 2011

DreamCast: RENT

Photobucket
I have a soft spot for Rent.
The Jonathan Larson story is amazing.
Someone needs to write a musical about that story.
 I was 13 years old when Rent exploded on the scene.
I remember crying as his sister accepted his Best New Musical Tony &
hanging up the Time magazine cover in my room.
I also remember September 7, 2008,
when it closed on Broadway.
I lived in New York at the time, and
my church was right next to the theatre that housed Rent.
It was painted lime green & decorated like the back of a yearbook
with sad goodbyes in Sharpies.


The Players
Photobucket
He can play guitar,
has the perfect attitude/coloring, &
has the charisma to handle our romantic male lead.

Adam Brody as Mark
I love this guy.
I first saw him on Gilmore Girls, &
he was my first thought in casting Mark.
I could see him being a great narrator.
 I have low expectations with Mark(s)  because it seems to be a throw-away casting choice that directors throw away upon the likes of Joey Fatone (my first Mark),
but it's a great part that deserves a great actor.

Omar Epps as Benny
On House, he plays a doctor who isn’t always right or kind, but has a higher track record in being right.
It was difficult to get Taye Diggs out of my head, but I like Omar Epps for the role because:
  1. He is a more age-appropriate casting choice.
  2. I would imagine his performance being gritter & fresher than Taye Digg's smooth & perfected portrayal of the part.
  3. I could picture a hypothetical time when Omar, J. Tim, & Adam Brody were friends. Other productions have created such a severe Benny that it was difficult to imagine this friendship that is at the basis of their Rent problem. We are supposed to take for granted because the script alludes to it, but remnants of that relationship also need to be realistic & present.
Will Smith as Collins
He is aged to perfection & has quality of range in his acting.
I loved his performances in Hancock & The Pursuit of Happyness
because they were thickly multi-faceted.
He is a smart man who adds dimension to a part like a prism,
and that’s what Collins requires.
Plus, he is just likable.
In casting Collins, one must consider that
his grief is the one that the audience needs to feel.
The reality of losing Angel is what this musical is all about.
The bulk of communicating the impact of that loss falls on Collins.  
Photobucket
Freida Pinto as Mimi
It's strange because her face was the only fresh one in the film,
and it wasn't a bad casting choice, considering the goal of the film.
(That goal being: To recreate the 1996 Classic & Beloved Musical as closely as possible)

In my mind's eye, Frieda Pinto's portrayal would highlight
the more relevant Mimi characteristics. 
Rosario Dawson played a hot dancer with a seedy past/present
more than a terrified, HIV-infected, 19-year-old whose life & choices
left her in the most desperate of situations. 
I picture Freida Pinto's performance as a more realistic
(though less glamorized) character who seems like,
despite whatever facts we know about her,
could communicate a solid, good, misled heart
at the root of her choices & actions.

Austin Scarlett as Angel
Angel needs to spin the loveliest web of an impression
before his untimely exit.
Which is exactly what Austin Scarlett
during Season 1 of Project Runway.
He has an innocence & refreshing perspective, 
but knowingly faces his trials.

Mila Kunis as Maureen
She pulled off the girl-on-girl energy in Black Swan.
I could quickly picture a good residual chemistry with Adam Brody.
She also has that Maureen-esque charisma
that you can feel too much but touch too little.

Jennifer Hudson as Joanne
She has lungs of steel & the iron strength that Joanne requires.
Plus, she is a local actress.
I have yet to see Dreamgirls, but the my sister's reaction
(and the Oscar committee) make me think this woman was
cater-created for movie musicals. 
I also have so much respect with how she handled her personal tragedies and
she deserves only the best of everything.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...