Sunday, May 8, 2011

Black Swan

Photobucket
Disclaimer: I will probably ruin the ending if you haven't seen it.

When I first saw previews for this movie, I was expecting Center Stage meets V for Vendetta. There is something about movies about ballerinas that I automatically categorize as awesome but indulgent. The world's reaction to this movie made me question my instincts, but they were kind of right on. After seeing the movie, I felt the exact same way as after I saw the preview: that there were all these crazy things going on & I wanted to know what was behind them. This movie was like Lost Season 6...after all the hype & build-up, the questions they raised still remained.


From the beginning, it was trippier than I expected. I liked the thematic lines & imagery, I just wish they had been rooted with a more direct & purposeful perspective.  We saw the story from the point-of-view of Nina Sayers (Natalie Portman), whose reliability as a narrator is never made clear. As stress disintegrates her mind, she can't distinguish from what is real, who is who, & how events unfold in front of her. And since her perspective is the only one we have, it remains unclear what actually transpired.

There were themes that were consistently present, but vague. Upon receiving the role of the Swan Queen, Nina must fully embody the frigid beauty of the White Swan & the base sensuality of the Black Swan. The latter is her struggle & the struggle to balance the duality of one's self permeates the film. Another thematic element was self-sabotage, which I found to be more provoking & interesting. Since it was a movie about ballet, we had to see excessive self-control & bouts of bulimia. I didn't mind these obvious choices because they were being used to stir up different ideas.


What Happened To My Sweet Girl.
Photobucket
Natalie Portman earned that Oscar. She played the frigid innocent whose performance was the backbone of the entire film. She had to be tightly wound, intense, vague, obsessed, & buried all at the same time and gave a performance that was perfectly on point.

Mila Kunis was great. She played the new ballerina who posed a threat to Nina's new & fragile success. She created a character that was intriguing, but still casual, natural, & realistic. She held her own against Natalie Portman's huge performance & that is no easy task. I preferred the scenes where she was present

Photobucket
Winona Ryder played the crazy, washed-out ballerina who was being forced into retirement because the shelf-life of a ballerina expires at 30. She cracks up at the reality of hitting this glass ceiling & provided a great glance into the crazy future in store for our narrator. It was a good role for Winona Ryder. Her acting has gone from Girl Interrupted into Woman Interrupted. However, I don't know if she would be as appealing if casted outside her typecast as the frustrated, slightly insane artist.

Barbara Hershey played the ballerina who gave up her career when she got pregnant and lived aggressively & vicariously through her daughter. She had weak role commitment and made easy & obvious choices (granted, in an easy & obvious role). But I will always love Barbara Hershey for 2 reasons:
1. I love Beaches & always will.
2. I love Sayid & always will.

Also, do all ballerinas have crazy moms? Maybe ballet has such female associations that people think they have to stick a mother/daughter plot-line on the side, but I could do without it. Ballet always seems to become a metaphor for the jarred belle, when it could just as easily be used as a metaphor for the dedicated, driven, & successful woman. Speaking of moms,
Happy Mother's Day!!!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Michael Scott HilickiJune 21, 2011 at 8:52 PM

    Good review. But I disagree with the B-. I would have given it four chicken bones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...