Saturday, May 21, 2011

DreamCast: Miss Saigon

Photobucket
Miss Saigon was pivotal to my adolescent education of musical theatre. This is one musical that actually would be great as a movie & there have been talks of that possibility. I love that the writers were ballsy enough to conquer such a complicated war that was still fresh in the minds of many audience members. If it wasn't such a perfect & pristine piece of theatre, it could have been a huge expensive, offensive flop. Luckily, it turned out to be a perfectly-crafted, ageless, & invincible American Musical Theatre classic.

Photobucket
She doesn't have the most amazing acting stats,
but she is the perfect picture of Kim in my mind's eye.
She is an MTV star turned actress & something about that makes me think
she would have the freshness Kim needs & most actresses lack.

Hugh Laurie as The Engineer
Disclaimer: I know The Engineer is usually played by an Asian actor,
but since Jonathan Pryce is synonymous with the role, 
I felt entitled to cast Hugh Laurie based on that interpretation.
On House, his character's identity is grounded in his goals & work.
The Engineer is similarly-minded,
but with a completely different brand of background.
I've only ever seen him play a dry, quiet humor, &
 I would be excited to see him interpret
the more flamboyant flavor of The Engineer.
Photobucket
These girls have small roles, but it is important to cast them as individuals.   
Keiko Agena as Mimi
She reminds me of the sweet & poor Monique Wilson.
And I've gotta represent Gilmore Girls.
Tila Tequila as Gigi
She clearly exhibits the attitude & sexual charisma
Gigi requires to win Miss Saigon.
Devon Aoki as Yvette
She is more model than actress, but she has a great face.
She could individualize a role that could get lumped into the chorus.
Zhang Ziyi as Yvonne
She is a seasoned actress with a wide range of experience.
She seems like she could bring something sad & serious to the part.
Photobucket
Mekhi Phifer as John
I like that he was from ER, the Grey's Anatomy of yesteryear
John leaves the war a more driven & serious man
whose world view is seasoned with what his eyes have seen
I love the song Bui Doi & think it must be such a fun challenge as an actor.
To stand stagnant & sing a public service message
as the Opening to the Second Act requires
an actor whose conviction engages the audience enough
to get their mindset back to Saigon.
It is a challenge & responsibility that I could see
Mekhi Phifer having the intensity to handle.

Disclaimer: I don't like the choice to have the background singers in choir robes.
I like the background singers to be soldiers behind a screen.
This is a song about the perspective of a veteran, the infusing of the church dilutes his perspective.

Justin Chambers as Chris
Many elements of his Grey's character that would be applicable to Chris.  
He is the All-American Boy, but with baggage in his eyes.
His efforts are honorable, but living in a world of shades of wrong but no right,
it is a constant struggle to apply
everyday American ideals in a foreign & impossible world.
Chris seems like the simple, romantic male lead, but
placing that lead in this setting requires
an actor who can use his pretty face to actually act.

Daniel Dae Kim as Thuy
He proved on Lost, he can pull off the traditional, domineering man
without making him into a cruel caricature.
I think he would play a Thuy who felt like a piece of Kim's past,
instead of a random, flat antagonist.
Photobucket
Jennifer Garner as Ellen
Her performance in Juno reminded me of Ellen's journey.
Ellen can be played a million different ways, but I envision hers as:
A steel magnolia who doesn't mind getting dirty,
wholly-devoted wife, who is strong despite herself, &
A woman with the fiercest of maternal instincts.
The Original 1989 'I Still Believe' - Lea Salonga & Claire Moore

I love them both so much & clearly no one will ever compare.

I think Pax could channel
some of his real-life experiences into his interpretation of the role.
There was a limited casting pool for Tam &
he fills the required cute quotient.

1 comment:

  1. Quite possibly its because Im on a kick, but I think this is your best dream cast yet. Casting Pax is genius. With each one I was like, "yes. "yes" "yes"...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...