Thursday, June 23, 2011

June WishList: Part II

Photobucket

Chemically Imbalanced Theatre
Photobucket
An evening of comedic performances exploring
two very different sides of the service industry:
1/2 Caf Chronicles
Written and performed by Paul Whitehouse
A semi-autobiographical collection of stories
about a young man's short lived career as a barista.
Trapped in a Box
Written and performed by Casey Pilkenton
A story of Audrey losing her patience, her drive,
and her sanity working in a Box Office.

Closes: June 30
This piece caught my attention because I know about the life of a barista, having spent years of my life tapping the tamp, foaming the milk, and trying to figure out the point of latte art. It is a really great idea for a comedic, one-person, one-act. Hopefully the quality of the writing will be equal to the strength of the initial concept.



Oak Park Festival Theatre
Photobucket
A new single-evening adaptation of
Shakespeare's Henry IV Part I and Part II.

Closes: July 9
Henry IV is one of my Shakespearean favorites. I saw Henry IV Parts I & II at London’s National Theatre in 2005 (directed by Nicholas Hytner!). There was a full-length matinee of Part I, a dinner break, then a full-length evening production of Part II. It was a great experience (one of my TopTen ever), but a loooong day. The editing of two whole plays into one intrigues me. Artistic Director Jack Hickey is playing Falstaff, so it’s going to be a true reflection of the company’s skill level & perspective. Not to mention that outdoor Shakespeare is a perfect summer pastime.



BoHo Theatre @ The Wit
ic1
In Edwin Sanchez's deeply lyrical and haunting play, a mismatched gathering of strangers has converged on an empty ocean-front beach house, all of them damaged, physically or otherwise, each yearning for something unattainable. In this sharp, Godot-like dreamscape, these outcasts must discover what true beauty really means.


I love the aesthetic of the graphics. In a myth-based, creatively-oriented show like this, I need to have faith in the theatre company’s artistic perspective & the first-impression from the poster is the only indicator I have (being unfamiliar with the company). I’m glad this production looks a little whimsical, not so super serious like the tone of so many plays based (even loosely) on Greek myths.
Closes: July 24

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...