Wednesday, June 22, 2011

DreamCast: Blood Brothers

Photobucket

Blood Brothers just might be the best musical ever written. It is so thick & so poignant, especially for being penned in the 80s. I was lucky enough to see it in London & it was one of my Top-Ten Theatre Experiences. I love the dingy setting, the creepy undertones of the music, the quietly complicated characters, & the serious nature seasoned with perfect moments of light.

Photobucket
Jane Krakowski
Mrs. Johnstone
Something about her screams deadened potential.
I first met her on the soundtrack to Grand Hotel,
now she is associated more her with 30 Rock & Ally McBeal
(both positive associations, IMO).
But first impressions say it all: to me,
she will always be a quality & capable
musical theatre rockstar.

The Narrator
I apologize for the repetition,
but I can't stop casting this man in my imagination.
What an exceptional actor,
what a great &expressive face, &
what positive associations for me from the Lost years.

Laura Linney
Mrs. Lyons
For some reason, she plays the suburban crazy very well.
I liked that she had the same coloring as Jane Krakowski
because Mrs. Lyons should serve as a foil
of who Mrs. Johnstone could have been.
Mrs. Lyons is a symbol of Mrs. Johnstone's lost potential,
& requires an untouchable quality that Laura Linney could convey.
Photobucket
Jack McBrayer
Eddie
He has proven on 30 Rock that he is a smart actor.
It takes such articulated effort to play a believable idiot.
Not that Eddie is an idiot, but he is a man
whose mind has been simplified by the luxury of an easy lot.

Ellie Kemper
Linda
She has grown into one of my favorite character on The Office
I could see her though Mickey's eyes:
 as his familiar partner in crime.
I could see her through Eddie's eyes:
as a an idealized & eternally adored armpiece.
Jeremy Sisto
Mickey
He is a crazy great actor.
I first loved him in Clueless, but his work on Six Feet Under
solidified my confidence in his solid skills.
He has such a strong performance presence,
a strong & striking speaking voice, &
creates crazy, great characters out of nowhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...