Thursday, June 16, 2011

2011 Tony Awards

Photobucket
Photobucket
It is a funny Tony year for me. I have absolutely no interest in The Book of Mormon, which was the obvious & dominating winner. I'm sure it is so funny, articulately-written, & well-performed, but I dislike the subject matter so much that the quality of the production is irrelevant. I cannot find merit in a musical whose entire purpose to mock a religion, even if it isn't mine. If the musical was of the same quality, but the jokes had been directed towards sexual orientation, race, or a religion that is no so openly-mockable, I am curious to how it would have been received. Artistic expression seems acceptable as long as the majority can join in the group that is doing the criticizing rather than the group being criticized. Usually, I am so excited about watching the Tony's, but New York's theatre scene has been less than intriguing for me lately.

Chris Rock presented the Tony for Best Musical. I would really love to hear the legitimization for this decision, since this is the most important award of the evening, and should be presented by someone who has at least one legit foot in the theatre world (The MotherF**ker With The Hat does not legitimize him as stage actor to me). And what’s worse...Chris Rock presented the award to Trey Parker, Robert Lopez, and Matt Stone from South Park & Avenue Q fame. I like South Park & can appreciate Avenue Q, even though I’m not a cartoon fan. But it is difficult to accept that the perspective & style of these writers has been translated into the best American musical of this season. It ended on a note that felt more VMA's than Tony's, which is not the appropriate tone for the Broadway I used to know.  



I miss the Old Broadway. I am grateful that I grew to love Broadway & musicals in the late-1990’s because Broadway was authentic & exciting then. I remember subscribing to InTheatre magazine, a retired tabloid for the Broadway world because there was a Broadway community with its’ own exciting news, gossip, & rumors. That community has splintered from contemporary/potential Broadway legends being replaced by mediocre Hollywood actors, vacant & over-the-top productions, and big-ticket pricing. It’s funny that they made a point to mention that this was Broadway’s highest grossing year. Well, of course it was, since tickets cost $100+ these days. In my Broadway childhood, there were always $15 back-row tickets to Les Miz & Phantom, great student discounts, & the halfprice TKTS Discount Booth in Times Square was guaranteed to never disappoint in quality, price, & availability. The Old Broadway was warm & approachable; this New Broadway just seems cold, expensive, & weird.

4 comments:

  1. alas, so sad..... what was the turning point? I can't remember what the last good show we saw there was.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad we have so may memories of the greats-Parade, Scarlet Pimpernal, and of course Ragtime with marin m and Brian stokes Mitchell. There were so many shows we couldn't wait to see. Now, I can't think of one. I know the disney shows are big money makers, but I hae no interest. in seeing any of them--even Edgie was preferable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it. Then again, I don't see the need to separate musicals from the likes of South Park. I was very happy that I found some Book of Mormon discount tickets. It was worth seeing, I thought.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...