Saturday, August 11, 2012

Broadway in Chicago Summer Concert

T_1000_2732817 
This ruled. Here's why:
  • It was FREE. 
  • Senate Bill 937 (Live Theatre Production Tax Credit) went into effect in July. This bill allows a tax break to pre-Broadway shows opening in Chicago, which will expand the quality/amount of shows brought in by Broadway in Chicago.
  • The concert served as a centennial celebration of the Nederlander Organizationwhose work has made this world a much more beautiful place in my book.
  • CYNDI LAUPER. She performed a number from her new musical Kinky Boots & made my night. 



THE SHOWS: 
+ Les Miserables: It was nice performance of the most random & downer number: Bring Him Home. I get that they could only produce one song & it’s best for it to be one of ValJean’s. What about WHO AM I??? It’s his defining moment, it’s uplifting, it’s more approachable, applicable, & enjoyable for audiences who don’t know Les Mis already. Nice performance quality, poor song choice.
+ I liked Catch Me If You Can more than I expected. The music was catchy & the lyrics seemed to have quality & content. It is a cool story with awesome artistic potential, so this one might actually end up being pretty good.
+ Million Dollar Quartet: It was fine, but less striking/impressive than I expected.
+ Cinderella: WHY IS THIS MUSICAL STILL BEING PERFORMED?
+ Peter Pan: I know Cathy Rigby was an Olympian, but it's just weird for a 50-something woman to be playing a little boy.

+ War Horse was awesome. I love anything that comes from the National Theatre & this performance provided heightened degree of artistry compared to the other performances. This is one I definitely want to see.
+ Sister Act was fun & had strong vocals. The ensemble was a little muddled, but it'll probably be a fun, entertaining show.
+ Potted Potter: I didn’t like it. I don’t know the Harry Potter series that well, but I’d be 100% more interested in an authentic Harry Potter musical rather than a spoofy one.
+ Besides War Horse, I Love Lucy was my favorite performance. It is such a great idea for a musical & seemed to true to the original show (which I'm predicting means there is going to be a huge, built-in audience-base & probably make great ticket sales)

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...