Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Anna Karenina: The Movie!

anna-karenina-poster02-1
In college, I took a Russian literature class. I was surprised how many of the novels we read stayed on my shelf after the class ended…Oblomov, Dead Souls, The Brothers Karamazov, and, my hands-down favorite, Anna Karenina. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. It has a long, intertwined story that was created to be retold & reinterpreted…great characters that change & grow, an awesome historic setting that is not usually utilized in full cinematic glory, & relatable conflict/complications in an unrelatable world. I vote next time we put this story on stage (as a musical, obviously). Tom Stoppard wrote the screenplay with Joe Wright serving as director.

Tom Stoppard is awesome. He is a 4-time Tony-winning playwright (Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead, Travesties, The Real Thing, & The Coast of Utopia), has served as one of the key playwrights for London’s National Theatre & also co-wrote the screenplays for Shakespeare in Love & Brazil. His personal life is equally striking & impressive: Stoppard was a child refugee who settled in Britain after fleeing immiment Nazi occupation in Czechoslovakia. Before becoming a playwright in 1960, Stoppard worked as a journalist & drama critic; he was also knighted in 1977.

Joe Wright is best known for directing Pride & Prejudice and Atonement (clearly he has found his muse in Kiera Knightley). While I’m not the biggest fan of his chosen leading lady, I do like his modern interpretations of period pieces: he creates dynamic, artistic, refreshing interpretations without compromising the authenticity of antiqued eras.He also has a keen eye for casting, which I first appreciated after he cast Matthew Macfadyen as P&P’s Mr. Darcy. Macfadyen is an established stage actor who is based in the UK & studied at RADA. I saw Prince Hal in Henry IV Parts 1 & 2 at the National Theatre and he was exceptional in this challenging, iconic role. Wright could have easily cast a Hollywood all-star to play Ms. Knightley/Bennet’s surly love interest, but he opted for the highly-skilled, lesser-known perfect fit.

In casting Macfadyen as Mr. Darcy, Joe Wright took a talented unknown & allowed the world to enjoy their talent. He had the same effect on a young actress in Atonement. He cast Saoirse Ronan as the younger sister who carries the complicated bulk of the storyline. She was an unknown at the time & caught the eye of Peter Jackson, who wanted an unknown actress for the lead in his upcoming movie The Lovely Bones (also an awesome book). Unfortunately for Jackson, Joe Wright had found a star in Saoirse Ronan and she garnered an Oscar nomination for her performance in Atonement.

This intrinsic, innate ability to craft quality casts is so necessary for this specific film adaptation. Anna Karenina may seem like the story of one woman, but it is also an ensemble piece with characters. I have confidence that he made smart choices in who he trusted to play the people I have come to know on the pages of this beloved novel. Keira Knightley is not my first choice, my concern for her performance is a lack of maturity: Anna Karenina is a sensual woman & Knightley still seems a girl. She does look good in the part; I love the costumes & styling, so hope is not lost & I’m hoping she surprises me. Jude Law looks great as Alexei Karenin; I think sometimes his acting ability gets stifled behind his perfect physical appearance, but I think he is a genuinely talented actor. I’m glad he wasn’t cast as the charming playboy Vronsky; it is his time to step up to the plate, make the world forget his perfect face, & affirm his skills as an actor.

Opens November 9, 2012 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...