Monday, March 26, 2012

Thank You, Ken Davenport.

Photobucket
My musical theatre upbringing was substantially influenced by a man named Ken Davenport. I was in 6th grade when I first got the clever idea to write letters to the Human Resources Departments of Broadway theatres to tell them I loved their shows & ask them to send me a playbill. RAGTIME opened the next year & is/was my favorite musical, so I promptly wrote a letter to the Ford Center for Performing Arts. Ken Davenport sent me a playbill, a business card, & a post-it that said he was happy a 13-year from Delaware loves theatre & that one of their production managers was also from Delaware. His business card had his email address; it was an AOL address. This was in the age where AOL was bright, fresh, & shiny; instant messaging was revolutionary. Obviously, I added his AOL name to my Buddy List & IM’d him the first time his name showed up. We chatted online regularly. As a junior high girl who had recently transferred from one school to a starkly different one (picture Bring It On, but worse), his friendship helped to salvage that awkward period. I sent him my first attempts at theatre criticism & he took them seriously. He was kind, smart, and maybe/hopefully saw some of his younger self in me. I wrote a review of the national tour of Show Boat, which he showed to the actual producer of the tour; he encouraged me by not discrediting my opinions despite my age. I remember sending him a cassette tape of the musical Wuthering Heights, which at the time I thought was amazing but has since disappeared into the musical theatre abyss. [I still think that random musical rules, SO CHECK OUT Heathcliff’s Lament, I Belong to the Earth, One Rules My Heart, or If Only]. Eventually, Ken made it possible for my sister & me to see RAGTIME from a perfect pair of front-row seats (which is still, HANDS-DOWN, the best production I have ever experienced). When we picked up the tickets at the box office, I met Ken for the first & only time in person with my parents & sister. He was kind, my parents were appreciative, & we could not be more excited.

Our happy, scrappy snap-shots from that evening:
Photobucket

P.S. RAGTIME IS STILL THE BEST MUSICAL EVER:



NOW, LET'S FAST FORWARD
Ken Davenport currently serves as one of the most important producers on Broadway.
His success is astounding but not surprising.

He produced the current Broadway revival of Godspell,

He writes an exceptional & insightful blog entitled The Producer’s Perspective,
which addresses the tangible/business-oriented aspects of theatre, gives insight to the inner-workings
of the Broadway world, provides industry classifieds, & offers ticket discounts / giveaway opportunities.

He appeared in a 2008 iPhone commercial,
after creating the highly-successful TKTS iPhone app.

He is the perfect example of the recipe for success as a producer (or anyone in the arts):
work hard, work well, & invest recognition/interest/effort in the future talent.

Thank You, Kenny D. I wouldn’t be blogging without you :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Thanks for the incredible shout-out, Ashley. So glad to see that the great theater spirit that I saw in you back then is alive and kicking. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ken!!! You're the best! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...