Sunday, March 3, 2013

DISNEY + SHAKESPEARE.

 photo 6d102b94-e5c1-463e-92ed-cc963c6680be_zpsfb88cb6f.jpg
DISNEY IS TAKING ON SHAKESPEARE!!!

THE FACTS & FIGURES:
Disney has hired Alex Timbers to direct a musical adaptation of a TBD Shakespearean classic [with Amy Talkington adapting the screenplay]. Mr. Timbers has been nominated for two Tony Awards for co-directing Peter and the Starcatcher (for which SMASH's Christian Borle won the Best Supporting Actor Tony last year) & writing the book for Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson (which he also directed). He has also directed The Pee-wee Herman ShowGutenberg! The MusicalBoozy, & A Very Merry Unauthorized Children's Scientology Christmas Pageant. The film will be produced by Offspring Entertainment's Adam ShankmanJennifer Gibgot, Jon Chu & Matt Smith.


The William Meets Walter Dynamic:
It is my prediction that this new Will & Walt connection will be the beginning of a long (& possibly glorious) union. I am opposed to the overwhelming Mousification of Broadway, but I am not so close-minded to forget the awesomeness the brought to stage...Julie Taymor's ground-breaking puppetry in The Lion KingMary Poppins flying over the audience, The Little Mermaid swimming on Heely'sElton John's beautiful score for AIDA, & the list goes on. One thing that anyone who has eaten at DisneyLand knows is that Disney brings the highest quality of product to the table. It's a little weird & feels a little bit off, but, overall, I like this an exciting development. The Disney corporation is also so universal that this film will undoubtedly introduce people (especially children) to the Wonderful World of Shakespeare [or Edward DaVere, but that's a blog for another day]. 

THE SHAKESPEAREAN MUSICAL:
 "Developing The Last Goodbye – a Romeo & Juliet with the music of Jeff Buckley, 
I've been so lucky to get to explore the possibilities of combining Shakespeare with contemporary music. 
This Disney film takes that concept even further & turns it on its head in an ingenious way."

Just the idea of anyone putting Shakespeare in the form of a musical makes this creative endeavor cool in my book & Timbers comes with experience in marrying musicals & Shakespeare. In addition to the recent rock musical The Last Goodbye, Timbers will also be directing a musical adaptation of Love's Labours Lost with composer Michael Friedman which will premier this summer as part of The Public Theater's Shakespeare in the Park. I'm just hoping the songs will be in iambic pentameter. 


The Great Question: Which Play Will It Be?
I am very curious as to which Shakespearean play they will choose for this inaugural production. According to Timbers, "The script stretches the boundaries of the movie musical & demands the sort of surprising visuals & raucous spectacle which I love to create in my own stage musicals.Obviously, it will be a comedy (which knocks out Titus Andronicus & most of my favorites) & will more than likely not be Love's Labour's Lost. My prediction is A Midsummer Night's Dream. It is the quintessential play for any inaugural Shakespearean company: it is probably the most accessible in terms of plot, probably the most popular in terms of audience familiarity, & there are fairies. My second bet (& the one I'm rooting for) is As You Like It. I have played Hermia in Midsummer twice, so I have a spot in my heart for that show, but As You Like It would be a little bolder & shine light on an entirely awesome Shakespearean comedy that always seems to slip through the cracks.  My other projected/hopeful possibilities would include The Taming of the Shrew (which actually could be a real contender due to the approach-ability of the subject matter), Much Ado About Nothing (which lacks the plot & I don't think anyone would be happy with a filler plot being incorporated), The Tempest (an exciting choice I would imagine to be too daunting). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...