Friday, April 6, 2012

SMASH 9: Hell on Earth



Ivy's Downfall

I loved Ivy’s immediate crumbling upon her return to the chorus; she played the perfect foggy, feathery dilated starlet with a lost sense of footing. I lost a little bit of my interest in Ivy when Karen showed up because I like their feud (and lately Karen has rarely added to her scenes). The female-power moment in Times Square scene felt like a little too much like music video & halted the progression of the storyline. I am curious as to if this is rock bottom for Ivy. I can’t imagine they will allow her to return to Heaven on Earth, so losing her chorus girl role (when it’s all she has left at this point) might be the catalyst for Ivy to make some changes.

THE MAN FIGHT: Husband V. Lover
I was surprised to see Will Chase’s face again. This was a great scene (and would have been an excellent moment to break into song). I was happy for insight into Frank (Julia’s husband) played by Broadway all-star Brian D’Arcy James. It was clever to have him use her notes/words to piece together the puzzle of the affair & I’m glad he got to sing for a minute. I like Julia (and I LOVE her glasses), but I’m glad she got caught & the affair haunts her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...