Thursday, February 23, 2012

Project Runway's Broadway Debut!


Photobucket

I loved last week’s Project Runway All-Stars. The great Stephen Schwartz presented the designer’s mission: to create a costume for Uzo Aduba in the Broadway production of GODSPELL. The parameters for the costume were that it had to be bold, conducive to the stage, & convey wealth. The winning designer’s costume will be incorporated in the Broadway production & the designer will have a bio in the Playbill (pretty much the best prize ever, IMO). Sutton Foster served as the guest judge, which I loved since she is authentically one of Broadway’s Golden Girls as opposed to some Hollywood actress who happened to set a foot on a stage once. Well done, Project Runway!
Photobucket
  1. Mondo’s design won & was definitely the most striking, lively & dynamic. It seems the design was so detail-oriented that some of his vision & craftsmanship would get in a huge Broadway theatre. His design was the only one without a without a cinched waist, which would probably be helpful for a singer. But it was also very flowy, which seems like it’d be a nuisance for live theatre. I did love that jacket.
  2. Austin was our runner-up. I wanted to love his look & almost did. I loved the Gossip Girl feel of pouf skirt with cropped leggings, but the neckline & arm embellishments would also be very restrictive on-stage. He used a smart color scheme for the challenge but the overall effect seemed too juvenile.
  3. Michael got the bronze medal. I don’t get why he is on this show or why the judges put up with him. He used a cute, sassy silhouette, but chose awkward colors to convey wealth (except in the shoe choice, ironically enough). Angela Lindvall hit the nail on the head when she said, “Michael, this almost reminds me of the Chiquita Banana woman.”
  4. Jerrel came in fourth because his look was too closed-off & conservative. I would have really liked the look with a more open neckline & shorter, puffier skirt. The model had a really strange hair-do that grew on me only because it was so innovative & somehow did convey the character’s wealthy status.
  5. Kenley’s design was my personal favorite & I was surprised/disappointed with her 5th place standing. Her design seemed the most theatrically-oriented: the colors were fun & vibrant with design that would be striking even from the back of the mezzanine. It was also fitted but with some flair, so it would be easy to move in onstage. My favorite parts: the white fur trim & the hairpiece.
  6. Mila came in 6th, but probably should have been eliminated. The lime green in the skirt reminded me of Nickelodeon & the asymmetrical hemline looked accidental. I have no idea as to her point, perspective, or inspiration. Bad taste, bad execution, bad styling.
  7. Kara was eliminated. While I agree her design was pretty terrible, I do think Mila’s was worse. Kara’s design was like a poor man’s impression of rich (Nina Garcia would have thrown up in her mouth.) The bow looks like something from the Forever 21 clearance bin. It wasn’t modern; it kind of felt like the knock-off of a misinterpreted vision. I don’t appreciate that, but at least there is some reasoning behind her design whereas Mila’s made no sense in any direction.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. ooooh, clever review! I picked Mondo's from the beginning.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...