Friday, October 21, 2011

ARTonNews: Les Mis Movie Initial Cast

Photobucket

Papers have been signed & the plans are in the works for Les Miserables: The Movie Musical. Original producer Cameron Mackintosh will oversee the film, which will be directed by Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech). Filming is set to start in London in February with a projected release date of December 7, 2012. Partial initial casting as been confirmed with Hugh Jackman as Jean ValJean, Russell Crowe as Javert, and Anne Hathaway as Fantine. Rumors are indicate that Geoffrey Rush & Helena Bonham Carter will be playing The Thenardiers.
Photobucket

"Even though I have dreamt about making the film of Les Miserables for over 25 years, I could never have imagined that we would end up with the dream director Tom Hooper, and the dream cast of Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe as the two great protagonists Jean Valjean and Javert…Not only were they born to play these roles vocally, but they thrillingly inhabit this great score. I can’t wait to hear the people sing at my local cineplex."
-Cameron Mackintosh
Photobucket
Hugh Jackman as Jean ValJean
I dislike this casting. He lacks the seasoned, gruff & base street-smart quality of a criminal who has seen Hell but chooses Heaven. I get it. He’s an accomplished Hollywood actor who has proven versatility in roles, the ability to act and sing at the same time, & a face that will sell tickets. But he is just too young & green to play ValJean. I would have loved to see him cast as Marius, a much more appropriate casting for his specific skill-set. This is the ValJean that Victor Hugo envisioned and I am curious & doubtful as to whether Captain Jackman will suffice compared to his predecessors.

Anne Hathaway as Fantine

A very confusing casting choice, to say the least. Just as Hugh Jackman would have been a better fit for Marius, Hathaway could have been a great Eponine. They could have still had their faces on the posters without them playing the headlining characters. She & Jackman have the same problem: lack of authentic weathering as an actor. I don’t want to see a bright-eyed, simple belter as Fantine. I want to see an actress of epic proportions who happens to also have an amazing voice. I want to see an actress I associate with no other major movie roles so that I can accept her as a new Fantine.


Russell Crowe as Javert
If this casting was in reference to purely cinematic interpration of the character in the novel, I would be 100% supportive. But can Russell Crowe seriously sing?? I think he communicates Javert's history more than his present. Textually, Javert grew from a guttered childhood to become the pristine, respected police inspector. Crowe has the brooding history, the intimidating mannerisms, but lacks the clean intimidation Javert consistently displays in this adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...